How often I’ve groaned to myself when speaking at Christian women events when I hear young, Christ empowered women doubting their ability to build their business. Some even share their dreams and passion and qualify their negativity with ‘but I’m not clever enough to do this because………..’.
I’ve seen dreams dashed simply because a shared passion was squashed by an unfeeling friend (or more worryingly, family member).
Women need to shift their thinking. They need to believe in their worthiness and ability. Women are surrounded by other women who are willing to help, coach, advise, hand hold, but how often are we asked?
Here are a few useful keys to building confidence:
- When asked what your future looks like, make sure you have a clear answer.
- Get to know your unique strengths, skills and inherent behaviour. Articulate them. It’s not pride or showing off, it’s factual.
- Self-knowledge is a significant confidence builder. Invest in it.
- Check your network. Don’t be afraid to move away from negative ‘friends’.
- Get some time with successful women. In my experience they are always willing to grab a coffee and invest their experience into young women.
- Clear your mind of any damaging self-talk. Ask a trusted friend to challenge you anytime they hear you speaking this way.
- Don’t assume every confident woman has got her act together. She is most certainly on the same journey as you, just a couple of steps ahead.
Women have so much to offer society. Whether it’s a cottage business started on the kitchen table, to a corporate enterprise, women can fully achieve their career aspirations, but only if they understand their self-limiting barriers and then make a conscious decision to think and act differently.
Everyone has moments of doubt when starting a business. For women it is often the business/family balance challenge (that’s for a future article).
But whatever it is that is getting in the way of you having the confidence to start that business, just take the first step. Eventually, your confidence will grow to match your capabilities and potential.
Take that first step, complimentary, on me. Head over to https://www.businessdna.com/free-trial/ to reveal your unique skills and behavior.
“But you are God’s chosen treasure[a]—priests who are kings,[b] a spiritual “nation” set apart as God’s devoted ones. He called you out of darkness to experience his marvellous light, and now he claims you as his very own. He did this so that you would broadcast his glorious wonders throughout the world.”
1Peter 2: 9
Carol Pocklington is a Human Performance Accelerator. She has worked with Hugh Massie since 2001 as the DNA Behavior concept was conceived. She works with people and businesses worldwide. Her real-world application of behavioural insights, gives her the capability to serve as a business strategist, coach, mentor, and trainer. She is also a prolific blogger, a public speaker and author, specializing in human behavioural insights.